Jura Giga - machine will not boot & jumpy selector switch / encoder

• Jura Giga - machine will not boot & jumpy selector switch / encoder

Hersteller: Jura | Typ-/Modell: Giga 5 | ca. Baujahr: 2014

My Giga 5 repair moved step forward, but not the right way :(
      Managed to fix the main power switch, the machine will now turn ON (you can hear the relay click)
      The Red LED in the circle dial will start slowly blinking for about 20 seconds then the relay will switch OFF again. ?(
      No display whatsoever.
      If I turn the power OFF and ON again this sequence repeats itself.
      It's unfortunate since otherwise the machine looks good, except some genius glued in the right coffee outlet with crazy glue.
      Managed to extract it so it's fixable.

Anyone experienced this before?

Thanks.

Mechanische Kenntnisse vorhanden: JA | Elektrische Kentnisse vorhanden: JA | Messgerät vorhanden: JA
    • Lifeisfun schrieb:

Anyone experienced this before?

Yes, I had the same thing with the GIGA 5, which is now in my kitchen. This was a total loss of the display unit (probably caused by water) and I had to give the machine to Jura. In addition to the display unit, they also replaced the main electronics and, regardless of the electronic damage, a whole range of other components.

The flat rate repair price for Canada is 695 CAD = approximately €470 - Jura Germany currently charges €259 for this. Significantly more expensive - but probably the only way...
      Read the conditions for a flat-rate repair carefully. If Jura Deutschland notices that you have already done the repair yourself, they refuse the flat rate repair and work "according to effort"... I can imagine that it is no different in Canada.
      I had to extensively reprocess my GIGA 5 to return it to its "original used condition", before handing it over so that it couldn't be seen that someone had already had it... ;)
      Immer logisch und Schritt für Schritt vorgehen. Blinder Aktionismus kostet Zeit und Geld.
      Küche: Jura GIGA 5 Pianoblack-Chrom Bj: 2012
      Büro: [sJura GIGA X3 ALU Bj: 2014
    • Thanks BS!
      In that case it's not worth it, I'll keep it for parts, not to mention Jura Canada would not touch machine not purchased in Canada.

I'm tempted to try connecting another display unit from working machine but would hate to "fry it" as well.
      I will probably open the display unit and see what's happening inside.
      It's unfortunate there is no connector on it so you have to unplug it from the main board and pull the cable all the way back.

I guess there is a way to repair them since someone is selling these on ebay
      Trade in offer
      ebay.ca/itm/135034681101?
    • Lifeisfun schrieb:

Will see if I can get it working again
      If you are experienced enough with soldering and it only concerns the corroded plate vias often mentioned by RolandM, this can work. RolandM has apparently done this successfully several times for J9 display modules that have shown a comparable problem. But it doesn't always seem to work...
      Immer logisch und Schritt für Schritt vorgehen. Blinder Aktionismus kostet Zeit und Geld.
    • BlackSheep schrieb:

Lifeisfun schrieb:

Will see if I can get it working again
      If you are experienced enough with soldering and it only concerns the corroded plate vias often mentioned by RolandM, this can work. RolandM has apparently done this successfully several times for J9 display modules that have shown a comparable problem. But it doesn't always seem to work...
      It did clean up to perfection, I took it under a microscope and there is no damage to the board.
      Unfortunately problem persists. there is 3 LEDs creating the red light ring,
      the upper is fully bright and one on the left and bottom are only about 30% lit ( all slowly pulsing)
      No power button or program button light.
      My other "hope" was that water got in the SD card slot but when I opened the display module it looks untouched.
      The display is completely dead, not even backlight.

• Perhaps RolandM can say something.
      I don‘t know which plate-vias are the
      problem and corroded.
      I thought I understood the problem is
      located at the Rotary-Plate…
    • Hallo Roland!Ich würde mich sehr freuen, wenn Sie mir aufgrund Ihrer Erfahrungen einen Rat geben könnten. Haben Sie die Pinbelegung für das Anzeigemodul herausgefunden? Ich würde es gerne mit einem Tischnetzteil testen, kann aber keine Informationen dazu finden.Danke schön!

Hi Roland!
      I would really appreciate if you can give me some advice based on your experience.
      Did you figure out the pinout for the display module. I would like to test it using bench power supply but can't find any info about it.
      Thank you!

• The marked Capacitor has 10uF the other ones have 100uF. I try to test the displays, measure the voltage at the 7805 regular.

At one J5 Display the input and output voltage was ok, I soldered every via but it still strikes. You had luck, that it was easy to fix.
      Wer mich unbedingt privat kontaktieren möchte:
      Tobias.L-Komtra_Forum@directbox.com
      Allgemeine Fragen ins Forum, ich bin kein persönlicher Seelsorger, für Kaffeevollautomaten.
    • BlackSheep schrieb:

:thumbsup:

It looks like you have enough knowledge of electronics. :thumbup:
      Can you please send a picture showing the replaced part on the board?
      As marked in the picture by Tobias.L that's the right capacitor

Tobias.L schrieb:

The marked Capacitor has 10uF the other ones have 100uF. I try to test the displays, measure the voltage at the 7805 regular.

At one J5 Display the input and output voltage was ok, I soldered every via but it still strikes. You had luck, that it was easy to fix.
      Yes, sometimes you get lucky! :)
      The linear voltage regulator L4940V5 circuit was the culprit.
      I got the idea from other project I work on fairly often, Z-wave dimmer switches by Jasco(GE) they fail for exactly the same reason.
      I fixed 100's of these. $55 device dead because of 5c capacitor.

There is couple more things to do now, the left coffee spout LED is not lit (there is power all the way to the connector so I presume the wire to the LED or the LED itself. and slight drip by the ceramic valve after decalcification, probably cracked as usual.
      You Europeans are so lucky to get recycled parts so easy! :)

Any tips on dismantling the coffee spout all the way? I tried to search but since I'm using Google translate the search function doesn't work that well for me. I need to take out the left LED and the right spring loaded arm, also wouldn't mind to replace the coffee silicone hose. I removed the 4 screws on the bottom, removed the inside cover, then those 4 screws at the back but it still would not separate the cove holder from the arm that is sliding on the track.
      Thanks

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von Lifeisfun ()

• The 4 screws at the back are not enough.
      There are additional 2 screws from behind.
      To open this the whole coffee spout unit
      has to get removed from the machine and
      has nearly complete disassembled (also the
      sliding fabric etc. has to be removed) to get
      to the 2 screws.
    • The 4 screws on the back are not enough.

BlackSheep schrieb:

There are 2 additional screws from behind.
      To open this the whole coffee spout unit
      has to be removed from the machine and
      has nearly completely disassembled (also the
      sliding fabric etc. has to be removed) to get
      to the 2 screws.
      Wow, I'm glad I didn't use brute force!
      And those 2 LEDs are just pressed into the black plastic ?

Thank you!
    • Lifeisfun schrieb:

I don't know because I've never had to change one.
      But for such purposes I have a defective complete unit (fabric tape torn
      and missing) that I can try around with.
      I play around with it to practice when I need to do something on the unit.

Lifeisfun schrieb:

You Europeans are so lucky to get recycled parts so easy!

But only via eBay or a single, special (unfortunately very unreliable) dealer.
    • BlackSheep schrieb:

Lifeisfun schrieb:

I don't know because I've never had to change one.But for such purposes I have a defective complete unit (fabric tape torn
      and missing) that I can try around with.
      I play around with it to practice when I need to do something on the unit.

Lifeisfun schrieb:

You Europeans are so lucky to get recycled parts so easy!
      But only via eBay or a single, special (unfortunately very unreliable) dealer.
      I managed to take it all apart, yes the LEDs just slide down after the wire is not holding them up.
      Thanks!
    • Neu

Well, machine is assembled all back and running great, however there is new issue I need to resolve.
      On the rotating selector switch the rotary dial is very unreliable, you have to spin it very fast to get any response,
      and it jumps back and forth.
      The contacts must be oxidized perhaps because it wasn't used much.
      Rotating it for while improved the reliability but not nearly enough to live with it.
      Anyone tried to clean it, or should I just get replacement and replace it on the board?
      Thanks
    • Neu

The rotary no longer worked properly on my GIGA X3 with over 130,000 beverage preparations. You can do whatever you want - it will only help in the long run to replace it.
      Since I'm not much of a soldering expert, I let Tobias do it. So I can't say whether there was anything special to consider. In general, rotaries tend to break and need to be replaced.
      INFO-VIDEO

Hilfe zur selbstständigen Reparatur von Kaffeevollautomaten (Jura, Delonghi, Siemens u.v.m.)