Nivona NICR 960 - Typ 698 CafeRomatica - Error 12

• Nivona NICR 960 - Typ 698 CafeRomatica - Error 12

Hersteller: Nivona | Typ-/Modell: NICR 960 - Typ 698 CafeRomatica | ca. Baujahr: 2019

Hi. I have an error on my machine, it says error 12 and stopped. Only if i make coffe with milk.
      I Think it has something with the stellmotor to do, but i don’t know where it is placed.
      Any ideas or advices? ?(

Mechanische Kenntnisse vorhanden: NEIN | Elektrische Kentnisse vorhanden: NEIN | Messgerät vorhanden: NEIN
    • Unfortunately I know nothing about the NICR 960.

But at the NICR 1030 the "Antrieb zur Milchtemperatur"
      is placed in the coffee spout slide.

At the NICR 1030 Error 12 means this part ist defective
      Probably the error message can be transferred 1:1 for
      the NICR 960.
      Immer logisch und Schritt für Schritt vorgehen. Blinder Aktionismus kostet Zeit und Geld.
      Küche: Jura GIGA 5 Pianoblack-Chrom Bj: 2012
      Büro: [sJura GIGA X3 ALU Bj: 2014
    • Nope, never tried it. My 1030 is running well and l don't think there are so many 1030 in the wild.

Removing the display from the 1030 is not that complicated. There are 2 screws from behind on top of the display. Then it can be moved out forward and disconnected.
      Not sure if this is the same on the 960 and if this is enough to access the motor but it's likely worth a try.
      Kontakt: sb_NUE ät stephanb.net
    • Any success so far?

I currently have for the first time a 930 on the table and I thought this might be helpful for you.

Although it has a different display and no milk temperature motor, I assume the housing below/behind the display is the same.
      Once you remove the 4 screws behind the cover of the milk nozzle, the whole housing including the display becomes loose.
      Disconnect the two tubes for coffee and water and also the red and the white tubes for steam and air.

Disconnect the white connector on the display ( the most right on the picture) and the whole housing including display is completely free.

Below is how it actually looks like. The free space above my finger (where the unused thread is) is likely the area where the milk temperature motor is sitting in the 960/970.

Kontakt: sb_NUE ät stephanb.net
    • Hi sb_NUE

Thanks for your input, you are close to my situation. Here's what i found;

Fault/fehler/fejl 12

The milk frother in our Nivona 960 began to create new noises, and eventually stopped working, which gave a red ”Fejl 12” in the display. Sometimes you could reset the machine by the main switch and get lucky with a cup with not so ”foamy” milk, but something had to be done.

A danish workshop with relation to a dealer, could evaluate the machine for 500 Dkr, and make a repair offer. Today I am convinced that the total cost would end up in 2 – 3000 Dkr – ish. (3-400EUR)
      So – on the internet for clues, which led to komtra.de

Not much about ”Fault 12” in a model 960 there, so I had to search for myself. After general cleaning in the main body shown on YouTube many places, I turned focus to the front, where an Antrieb für milchtemperatur is located.

You get access by removing the NIVONA cover below the display. Carefully remove the spout tubes and the four rubber seats for holding the cover. Deep inside you find four screws, and with these removed you lift the display up. Now you take pictures to make sure how to reassemble the unit again.

Remove the tubes and connectors except the one for the display. Carefully open four clips for the lid by the white motor assembly, and remove two screws for the motor.

Now you have the motor assembly which was the culprit here.
      I opened it up and found a wormgear lubricated with a white substance, visible similar to wood adhesiveBison | White wood adhesive . Problem was that this lubrication also worked as an adhesive, because the axle next to the motor was almost stuck. This white stuff appeared very sticky and it took strong fingers just to rotate the axle.

The good news is that this explaines the Error 12, as it indicate a current limiter for the motor. As an electrical motor is prevented from working while it is powered, the current increases. If the circuit did not have this limiter, components might have burned and we would have a worse situation, so thank you Nivona for this electronic design. Besides the wormgear mechanism is full metal and not just plastic, so I found no damage to the gear.

I concluded that this white stuff must go. I unsuccessful tried different types of solvents, but ended up using a shorthaired brush for a while. Instead I lubricated the gear with another type of grease like you would use in for example a wiper motor for a car.
      Finally all of this was reassembled and it was time for a cup of coffee. Tadaa – the machine worked perfectly with creamy foam and the right sound.

BTW – should you decide to buy a new motor. I recommend to open it before mounting, to see which type of lubrication is used. I am convinced that others will confront this issue as well.
      Bilder
      • Gear Mechanism.jpg

194,8 kB, 1.280×864, 334 mal angesehen
    • For all who had the same problem, and forget to take pictures for reassembling, here those i take. I changed the hole unit with an new part for 40 Euro. Now the NICR960 ist working fine again. A Nielsen is right, the lubrication in the motor is like wood adhesive. As the unit is made in China, the may have no other "lubrication" at the moment ;)
      Bilder
      • 20221208_120402.jpg

82,33 kB, 576×768, 285 mal angesehen
      • 20221208_120413.jpg

76,84 kB, 576×768, 271 mal angesehen
      • 20221208_120857.jpg

93,13 kB, 576×768, 293 mal angesehen
      • 20221208_120905.jpg

65,95 kB, 576×768, 243 mal angesehen
      INFO-VIDEO

Hilfe zur selbstständigen Reparatur von Kaffeevollautomaten (Jura, Delonghi, Siemens u.v.m.)