Melitta Caffeo CI E 970 - 101 - I am having trouble with the Milk heating and Frothing

• Melitta Caffeo CI E 970 - 101 - I am having trouble with the Milk heating and Frothing

Hersteller: Melitta | Typ-/Modell: Caffeo CI E 970 - 101 | ca. Baujahr: 2015

Hello I have Melitta E970-101 Caffeo CI Espresso machine. I live in the United States, but purchased the machine while living in Germany. I am interested in finding parts to repair a broken Milk Frothing system. I am hoping someone here can help me. At first we had no heat for the espresso or milk, we replaced a temperature sensor (TEMPERATURFÜHLER) and now the machine makes very hot espresso, but it will still not froth or heat milk. The milk is sucked from the milk island by hose and comes out in my cup easily without spitting or trouble, but it is not getting any heat from the steam. Because this machine is not sold in the USA it is not possible to buy parts or send it in for repair anywhere. My husband is an electrical engineer and is able to fix it, but I need to determine what parts are needed. We have ordered a few parts (listed below), through my husbands work colleague in Germany who brought them to America. Of these items the TEMPERATURFÜHLER is the only part that has made a difference.

AUSLAUFVERTEILER MILCHAUFSCHÄUMER

ANSAUGDÜSE MILCHSYSTEM
      TEMPERATURFÜHLER

Anyone who can offer help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Mechanische Kentnisse vorhanden: JA | Elektrische Kentnisse vorhanden: JA | Messgerät vorhanden: JA
    • I just ran a test.... with the Milk Island NOT connected. When I push the button for Milk I get a lot of steam- A Whole Lot of Steam. I did then attach the milk island and with cold milk from the refrigerator I got milk that was only warmed to room temperature, not even really warm, just not ice cold anymore

I just replaced the Auslaufverteiler Milchaufschäumer and the Ansaugdüse Milchsystem. Here is a picture of what the machine did without the milk tank attached. Also, I get very very hot espresso and water.
      Bilder
      • IMG_3809.JPG

81,11 kB, 480×640, 6.104 mal angesehen

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von EClemmer ()

• Hello,

I have no solution for your Problem
      without having the machine in my hands.

The Steam comes complete out of the
      "Aufschäumer" and not fron inside the
      machine?

BS
      Immer logisch und Schritt für Schritt vorgehen. Blinder Aktionismus kostet Zeit und Geld.
      Küche: Jura GIGA 5 Pianoblack-Chrom Bj: 2012
      Büro: [sJura GIGA X3 ALU Bj: 2014
    • I don´t no why, but when it´s enough steam
      the problem could only be in the Aufschäumer
      or in the Steam-Nozzel of the "Kombi-Auslauf"
      (Nozzel-Hole too wide)

BS
      Immer logisch und Schritt für Schritt vorgehen. Blinder Aktionismus kostet Zeit und Geld.
    • The only problem with this part could be is that the
      nozzle is widened. If you can exclude this possibility
      you need no new nozzle.

How ist the machine connected to the power grid?
      Could there be a problem with 50/60HZ voltage
      alterning frequency?

At weekend I have a little more time to write. We should
      go ahead systematically.

BS
    • Hello,

lets beginn with the basics.

How ist the machine connected to the power grid? Could there be a problem
      with 50/60HZ voltage alterning frequency? Is the machine running on 230V/50HZ?

First make a electrical resistance measurement of the NTC when it haves a
      temperature from 20°C. It should have about 12kOhm at 20°C.
      Than make a measurment of the heater when the machine is ready-to-operate.
      It should be about 92-98°C.
      Next try to make milk-froth. The temperature of the heater should be about
      125-135°C when making steam.

Are all measured datas as prescribed?

If something with my english isn´t quite good - may be - I search several words
      and expressions with a translating programm, but I hope you understand whats
      meant...

BS
    • Thank you so much!! My husband, an electrical engineer, needs to read your last 2 posts and he will be better and understanding and answering your questions. Thank you very very much for your help. He will be home later today and I will have him look at your post.

Question- Is it possible to know if the nozzle is too wide without taking that part off the machine to examine it?
    • We bought the machine in Germany May of 2015 and used it in Germany until August 2016. Since then it has been used in the USA. It is wired directly into a 240 V 60 Hz circuit. It has 120 on each leg where in Germany it had 230V on one leg, and one leg was neutral. It has worked fine until around September 2017 when we started to gradually notice less heat and less froth in the milk. Espresso has always been hot and brewed like normal. Is there anything is affected by frequency? The boiler plate says it accepts 50 and 60 Hz.

We took temperature measurements. When the machine was heated up the boiler we were at 98. We ran a milk froth cycle and the temperature was between 137-141 and the milk was cold and with No froth.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von EClemmer ()

• Ok,

if the machine worked fine for a year, the 60HZ should not be the problem.
      Whereas the temperatures are quite high - could be because of 240V and
      not 230V thats abou 4% more, equal to the temperatures...

Because all with the temperatures seems fine, the problem should be by the
      handling of steam inside the machine.
      The machine actually is descaled with an descaler based on "Amidosulfon-Acid"?
      When not, the next step is descaling it with this!

Than took the rubber-nozzle out of the elekctric ceramic valve and look
      whether the litte hole in it is free and not widened:
      komtra.de/melitta-ersatzteile/…-831-840-845-850-855.html

Next step ist to clean the silicon-tubes (red and white) with a pipe-cleaner.
      If this all have no postive effect you should finally change the nozzle-unit
      in which the the red and white tubes end. Unfortunately no picture because
      not listed in the shop.

Last, change the "Cappuccinatore" and the milk-tube. Especially take this
      tube: komtra.de/melitta-ersatzteile/…-kaffeevollautomaten.html
      It has a lower insider diameter than some of the old tubes and so the milk
      comes slower in the cappuccinatore
      Cappuccinatore:komtra.de/melitta-ersatzteile/…litta-caffeo-ci-e970.html

What do you mean with "cold" foam/milk in °C?
      Think about an optimal working machine ist able to rise the temperature
      from the milk around 45°C. Milk with 7°C gets at the end about 50-55°C.

Hotter isn´t possibel because the lactoprotein begins to decompose at
      temperatures above 60°C.

BS
    • Thank You!! It will probably be the weekend before my husband can the parts you suggest. I am so grateful to have someone knowledgeable helping me. I did not check the milk temp, but I can say it is not even warm to the touch. It is room temperature. I assume the amount of steam getting to the milk is just enough to take the chill off, but nothing more.
    • I hope my tipps are helpful - have also added a few words to the last post from me.

Sometimes in the end it helps only to have the machine physically at my own working table,
      because some (may be) possible faults I can´t imagine before I have seen them for the first
      time ever.
      But I hope it works well for you and we can identify the problem.from afar.

BS
    • Hello,
      My husband finally had a chance to work on our machine this weekend. Today We took out the red and white hoses and they looked clean. We did notice that the rubber-nozzle from out of the elekctric ceramic valve needed to be cleaned. We noticed build up inside when we examined it with a flashlight. We soaked in some water and cleaned it out with a small toothpick. Once we cleaned it we could see through the hole better with the flashliht. We put it back in the machine we got Very Very hot milk!!!!, and even some froth, but there was spitting and sputtering when it made the milk. I was so happy to have hot milk though, so the spitting did not bother me much. Could it be that we need to replace that little rubber nozzle and that would solve the spitting? Thank you so much for suggesting we check that rubber nozzle!
    • Spitting mostly is caused by a leakness in the milksystem
      or a cut in a tube.

I clean the rubber nozzle with a small dental brush like this:
      sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1rfshPVX…PVXXXXaGXpXXq6xXFXXX7.jpg

Make a photo of the lower end of the cappu-milk-tube
      and post it here.

BS
      INFO-VIDEO

Hilfe zur selbstständigen Reparatur von Kaffeevollautomaten (Jura, Delonghi, Siemens u.v.m.)